It doesn’t look like I have made much progress in the last couple of days, but I have been knitting and ripping, knitting and ripping. Where this purple stripe is, I have knit and ripped out twice now, and knit now for the third time. First I knit the peachy/pink/brown handspun, but I found that it blended in too much with the brown handspun. You really could not see stripes, just a muddy blur of color. I ripped it out. Then I knit the stripe with some dark red. I like the red, but with the brown they looked like they might be socks for a man. I don’t know any men that would take good care of hand knit wool socks with squirrels on them. So I ripped it out again. Then I noticed that I have this cone of lavendar/periwinkle color of a millspun yarn. However, it is so superfine that it has taken three strands of it to make up the same small diameter of my handspun. So I spent the better part of an hour winding a three ply ball. And re-knit again. It seems that the more you knit and rip out, the more you do not mind so much the ripping out. It really hurts the first few times, but then not so much.
I am more pleased with the colors together now. I am a bit apprehensive however about the size though. I think these will be a bit big for me. But I am using a size one needle. I don’t have anything smaller. Normally you would just use fewer stitches to get a smaller size, but then I would have to re-squirrel the squirrels. Not doing that. So these will be just fine if a bit loose on top.
As I was knitting these squirrels, I thought they would make darling skunks. Knit in black and white with red hearts in between them. Just an idea.